The Aberdeen University Model UN Society aims to:
- Bring together students that are interested in learning more about and possibly getting involved in defining and solving issues of global governance; such as Humanitarian action, the SDGs (Sustainable Development Goals), Climate Change, UN Reform and Peace & Security
- In doing so to provide students with the opportunity to meet, get to know and cooperate with other University students (both UK and International) interested in addressing these issues.
- To enhance students’ knowledge regarding one of the most influential International Organisations (the UN), but more importantly to provide a forum for student input regarding the UN and its work.
- Give students an opportunity to participate in Model UN related activities to enhance their public speaking, critical thinking and argumentation skills through such activities. These include Model UN debate sessions, workshops and opportunities to attend Model UN conferences as part of the Aberdeen University delegation.
- In achieving these aims, the society hopes to cooperate with existing AUSA societies with a similar focus (i.e. UNICEF, International Relations and Politics society, Amnesty International, Debater etc.); on e.g. mutual events, in addition to events of our own.
Our sessions are every Monday 6-8 pm in New Kings NK7, and welcome to everyone regardless of experience. You can reserve a country to represent each week using our sign-up sheet linked here or decide on a country spontaneously at the debate: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xovBZDxPSsuA4xA8QdvpXLZXTLZsQMkuxGFqwaClYf0/edit?usp=sharing
Check the Facebook page to keep updated on events:
Or our Instagram here: @aberdeenmun