The SwapShop is an innovative, eco-friendly student run indicative for exchanging products which is hosted by AUSA and operated by volunteers from Shared Planet Society.
We have a permanent shop located on the ground floor of the AUSA Students' Union Building (The Hub) - just down the corridor beside Subway. We have a second branch in the AUSA building at Hillhead too, which can be used whenever the building is open. You are welcome to drop off donations in the donation box and browse our collection at any time during the building opening hours.
Here you will find all kinds of treasures from cool clothing to kitchen items and stationery. Browsers are welcome, so feel free to drop by and have a look through all the amazing things we have. We do not deal with money, everything is completely free!
Each time we throw stuff away we add to the piles of rubbish that are mounting up in landfill sites. In the UK we are running out of space for landfill because there is so much rubbish. Well, we think one man's rubbish is another man's treasure, which is why we believe that exchanging items makes perfect sense! The piles of rubbish in landfill sites produce CO2, which contributes to climate change; just another reason why reusing items as much as possible makes sense. So next time you are out shopping ask yourself, where will this item end up after I have used it? How long will it last? Is it worth it? And remember to bring your things to the Swap Shop when you no longer need it! Did you know that over 2 tonnes of textiles went through the Swap Shop between September 2018 and March 2020!
Unfortunately, there are some items we cannot accept: Food, cosmetics or toiletries that have been opened, some larger furniture items and broken items.
Volunteer with us! We're always keen to hear from people who would like to volunteer with us! Simply, shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or message us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/swapshop.uoa/
Read on to find out what to do with all your different items:
Clothes, crockery, books and most other bric-a-brac stuff
Bring them to:
- Good quality donations can be dropped off in the SwapShop donation bins on the ground floor of the Student Union Building (open Mon-Fri 9am-5pm) and outside the AUSA Hillhead building (usually 24/7)
- You will find recycle points near the HillHead Central Building and across campus for electrical items
- If you have a cause close to your heart that you’d like to support, many charity shops around the city will welcome good quality donations, and some will welcome rags and recyclable fabrics too!
- Some charities do collections depending on what you’re donating, it’s worth asking around!
- Textile recycle bins are located at Hillhead, King’s Campus by Crombie Hall, and in the Morrison’s car park for example
-Contact the City Council who will be able to organise the collection of larger items for you
- Some charities will welcome electronics in good nick and will collect from you free of charge
- Broken items can be recycled at Hillhead, near Crombie Halls, and in the Morrison’s car park for example
- Leave in Hillhead laundrettes
- Only SwapShop at Hillhead on Tuesdays between 5-7pm. Please do not leave in donation bin
Food (not past a “use by”date)
- Foodshare Hub ground floor of the Students’ Union Building
- AUSA Hillhead building on Tuesdays (5-7pm)
- For tinned packaged staple items, foodbank donation points are available at most supermarkets, in Unite Student Halls, and at various local churches and community groups or recycle point at Hillhead Central Building
- You could consider advertising through Facebook groups or the likes of the Olio app for someone in need to collect.