University of Aberdeen Development Trust Sports Bursary Scheme
The Alumni Annual Fund Sports Bursary Scheme is funded each year by the University of Aberdeen Alumni department. The Alumni raise funds for many causes across the University, through the generosity of former students of the University of Aberdeen.
What are the Benefits of a bursary?
- Financial incentive - bursars can receive up to £1000 each year from the Scheme, with further funding being available in some instance. This award must be used for approved sporting expenditure e.g. coaching, equipment, travel, clothing and so on.
- Free Membership to Sports Facilities
- Free fitness testing & conditioning programming.
- Free on-the-spot advice on all aspects of performance.
- Free seminars on various aspects of performance.
What are the criteria for application?
- Applicants must be registered full-time undergraduate or postgraduate students of the University of Aberdeen.
- Applicants must have reached a high level of performance in their sport, normally at a nation level.
What does the University expect in return?
- Maintain membership of the relevant Sports Union Club and compete for the University where possible.
- Take part in Scottish Universities and British Universities Championships where appropriate, unless there are exceptional circumstances.
- Compete in both University and external competitions as a member of the University of Aberdeen and in a way that brings credit to the scholar and the University.
- Maintain a record of training and competition details and submit to the High Performance Sport Coordinator as required throughout the year.
- Maintain the levels of sporting excellence and commitment commensurate with the scholarship award.
- Attendance at all 1-to-1 meetings and at 75% of all fitness sessions and seminars that form part of the Bursary Scheme.
- Contribution to the development of sports at University.
- Promotion of the Scheme at all times.
What is the application procedure?
- Complete an application form (available online atwww.abdn.ac.uk/sportandrec)
- Attend for an interview if selected.
- Await for notification of success.
For further information and how to apply, please the Sport and Exercise section of the University website and go to ‘High Performance Sport’.
The John Robertson Sports Scholarship is available in 2017/18 to a first-year UK/EU undergraduate student at the University of Aberdeen. The scholarship will be awarded to a student who has demonstrated outstanding achievement and commitment to their chosen sport. One scholarship will be available valued at £3,000 per annum during the student’s undergraduate studies.