Student Monitoring

The University uses the student monitoring system to ensure you are on track and attending your classes. 


What should you do if you miss a class?

It is the expectation of the university that students will normally attend all of their classes. However some teaching sessions such as tutorials, lab work and seminars are compulsory, and attendance at these is monitored. If you are unsure of the attendance requirements for your course they should be outlined in the course handbook, which should be available on MyAberdeen. In addition, students are obligated to attend all examinations that contribute to their course.
You must report your absence if you miss an exam, do not submit an assessment or cannot attend a compulsory teaching session. If you are absent for more than 7 days, or you miss submission of any assessment, you will need to submit evidence (such as a medical certificate) along with the absence report.
If an absence is planned (i.e. hospital appointment or funeral) then it is advised to report it as far in advance as possible. In the event of illness or another reason when advance notice is not possible absence should be reported as soon as possible. You can add evidence when you receive it, do not wait for a medical certificate to submit an absence form.
You should complete the absence form on MyAberdeen. To do this go to the ‘report an absence’ section and complete the form detailing the classes you have missed and the reasons why. At this stage you can attach any supporting evidence. If you are unable to access MyAberdeen then the absence should be reported directly to the school.

Medical and Extenuating Circumstances

If you believe personal circumstances or a medical condition have affected your academic performance in an exam, the best course of action is to notify your school as soon as possible. You must submit the details through My Aberdeen on the day of the exam and certainly no later than three days following the exam.

Student Records

The letter ‘C’ is used to record information on the Student Record System. Here’s a list of the codes that could appear in your student portal.
C1. You achieved a first class grade.
C2. You achieved an upper second class grade.
C3. You will have to make a case to the Student Progress Committee to progress
to the next year.
C4. You are registered for a class.
C5. You have attended a class you are not registered for.
C6. You are at risk of losing your class certificate because you have missed
classes or failed to hand in coursework.
C7. You have failed to respond to at risk monitoring emails and have lost your
class certificate. This means you will not be able to take an exam or resit
and will not receive credits for the module.
C8. Your grade will consist of one assessment, usually an exam.
C9. You have been formally authorised to leave a class or change modules.
CX. You received a C7 in a first semester module and now you cannot enter a
class in the second semester.


What is a C6? What should i do if i get one? 

A C6 means you are “at risk” of losing your class certificate. If you fail to meet the minimum required attendance and/or fail to submit an assessment you will receive a C6 email from the University.
The C6 email should inform you what action you are required to take to remove the C6. Each School does this differently, so if you are unsure you can check the Infohub website You will be provided with deadline to respond to the C6 email. This is usually 8 working days from the date of the email.

What is a C7? What should i do if i get one? 

A C7 means you have been removed from the module, have lost the right to attend classes and will no longer have access to the course material available through MyAberdeen.
If you fail to respond to the C6 email by the stated deadline or your School does not accept your explanation you will be awarded a C7. This means you lose the right to your class certificate and will be at risk of failing to satisfy the requirements of your degree programme.
If you are an international student on a Tier 4 visa, this may put your student visa at risk.
You can appeal a C7 decision if you feel you have grounds. Find out more about the appeal process here