If you are giving up your room in halls fill in the form here, or for a full property, fill out the online form here.
AUSA Advice can provide information and advice on private accommodation. Please email us directly email@example.com.
For information on the University of Aberdeen halls of residence you can visit the University halls website here or contact them by emailing the student accommodation office at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also find University FAQ's, here, for information in relation to updates regarding COVID-19.
Please find the letter from Karl Leydecker regarding the University accommodation contracts here.
- The 2nd Coronavirus Act (Scotland) comes into force on 27/05/2020, putting in place notice periods for students who've left their accommodation due to COVID 19.
- If you have already left your accommodation due to COVID-19 you will be able to give 7-days’ notice to be released from your contracts, from when the law comes into force (27/05). Any new contracts that are taken out while the legislation remains in force will be subject to a 28-day notice period so if you want to end a contract for new years terms, you can do it now.
3rd Party Student accommodation providers have been looking at their policies and we will try to keep you up to date below:
- Hello students agreed to let students out of their contracts.
- LibertyLiving has also agreed
- UniteStudents agreed
- Ardmuir has agreed as well (no official statement as of today but students have received emails)
- Hunter accommodation - allow students out of their contracts regardless of COVID-19 but it will be stipulated on individual’s contracts. Contact them directly to discuss your own situation.
- HomesforStudents - private landlords collective so case by case basis unfortunately at this time. contact Shelter Scotland for further advice re private landlords.
- Aparto - have updated info on how they are supporting students with part refund offers - see here for more info on their FAQs
- Prestige Living Student: You will receive a 50% discount from the 1st of May if you fill their form. You can fill the form for Fraser Studios here.
- Student Roost: Student Roost has agreed and residents should have received an email.
We understand that many students are struggling to pay rent and we recommend they get in touch with their private landlord/letting agencies to see if they can agree to an alternative payment plan. We've created a template letter to help you, we know it can be scary and daunting to email your landlords. There is a short explanation on how to use the template letter at the top, so please remember to delete it before sending. For further advice, please contact email@example.com or Shelter Aberdeen.
The NUS (National Union of Student) Scotland believes it's unfair that students were ever charged rent for homes they'd left. If this affects you, they have prepared a template letter you can send to your accommodation provider to request a rent refund.
Please delete/fill in your details as appropriate, and then send it on to the accommodation provider. NUS Scotland is campaigning for all unfairly charged rents to be refunded, so please get in touch to let us know what response you get.
For more general housing advice and up to date information you can check out Shelter Scotland. In particular please refer to The Shelter Scotland COVID-19 Advice Pages, here you will be able to find all up to date housing information and advice relating to the recent pandemic.
Click here for the mobile version or to download your own copy.