Please keep in mind that current government guidelines and restrictions in place due to COVID-19. Please check out the Transport Scotland guidelines before making any plans.
If you are planning a trip we have prepared resources for you to ensure that it is carried out safely and all legal requirements and regulations are met.
The health, safety, and wellbeing of our community is of utmost importance to us. Due to COVID-19, the information and procedures described below are subject to change. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
If you have any queries relating to Trip Forms, Vehicle/Coach Hire or MiDAS Assessments, please do not hesitate to contact the AUSA Sports Team via email on firstname.lastname@example.org, by phone on 01224438975 or pop into the Sports Office at Aberdeen Sports Village, Linksfield Road, Aberdeen, AB24 5RU.
There is an AUSA Transport Policy which outlines what AUSA are able to provide, and any terms and conditions imposed upon the Sport’s club, Society or Student Group should they hire vehicle(s) through AUSA. This Policy provides information on what fines AUSA are able to impose on activities should they breach any conditions in the Policy.
For any trips off Campus (whether you have booked transport through AUSA or not), all Activities must provide a "AUSA Sport’s Club, Society or Student Group Trip Form" prior to leaving on your journey. This form is used in case of accidents or emergencies. The completed form must be emailed to email@example.com. If you have hired vehicle(s) through AUSA, in terms of the AUSA Transport Policy we are able to impose a fine of £20 should we not receive said form prior to departure.
Hired Vehicle(s) Request / Coach Hire Quote
We are currently reviewing our booking process to try to streamline and make the process easier for you. Please watch your AUSA email for the latest updates on the process.
All vehicle rental requests or queries in relation thereto, MUST be issued from Sport’s Club, Societies or Student Groups AUSA email address and not from a personal one.
To request a vehicle, the Sport’s Club, Societies or Student Groups must complete a “AUSA Sport’s Club, Society or Student Group Hired Vehicle(s) Request" and forward this to firstname.lastname@example.org. This form should also be completed should you wish AUSA to obtain quotes for a Coach Hire (with driver).
When completing the Transport Booking Request, please complete all boxes, giving as much details as possible. Please note that until you receive a Vehicle Rental Confirmation email, no booking is confirmed.
Transport Booking Requests should be sent as far in advance of the hire date as possible, or at least 5 working days before the date of hire. Any requests received later than 5 working days cannot be guaranteed.
Hired Vehicle(s) Amendments
Amendments can usually be done at any time up to the start of the hire period but are not guaranteed.
If you wish to AMEND any amend any details of a hire already in place, please email email@example.com with amendment details. No form requires to be completed for amendments.
Hired Vehicle(s) Cancellations
If you wish to CANCEL your hire, please email firstname.lastname@example.org at least 48 hours before the start of hire.
We require to provide 24 hours’ notice (before the start time of the hire) of any cancellation to the Hire company. If cancellation is not provided timeously, the Sport’s Club, Society or Student Group remain liable for at least one day’s hire.
Hired Vehicle(s) Accident, Damage & Breakdown
Please read the attached "AUSA Hired Vehicle(s) Accident, Damage & Breakdown" for guidance on should your hired vehicle breakdown, or your be involved in an accident with your hired vehicle.
For anyone wishing to drive a vehicle on behalf of a Sport’s Club, Society or Student Group they must be registered with AUSA as an “Approved Driver”.
You will not be able to drive any hired vehicle(s) on behalf of your Sport’s Club, Society or Student Group until AUSA have confirmed you as an “approved driver”.
To register with AUSA as an “approved driver” you must meet the criteria below.
- Have a UK, EU, Channel Islands, Isle of Man or Norway licence.
- Licences from EU countries allow holder to drive for up to 5 years in the UK, without sitting a UK test. Minimum driving experience required is as for UK licence holder
- Drivers with an EU, Channel Islands, Isle of Man or Norway licence are limited to vehicles with 8 passenger seats or less and will not be able to drive a minibus.
- Licences from non-EC countries allow holder to drive for up to one year in the UK, without sitting a UK test. Minimum driving experience required is as for UK licence holder.
- To drive cars, vans, MPV’s all drivers must be between the ages of 18 and 70 and have held a full licence for a minimum of a year.
- To drive a minibus all drivers must be between the ages of 21 and 70 and have held a full UK licence for a minimum of 2 years. A minibus is classed as a vehicle with a driver, and between 9 and 16 passenger seats. For drivers who passed their test before 1st January 1997 you can drive a minibus if you have category D1 not for hire or reward on your licence. For any other drivers, you must hold a MiDAS qualification. See here for more details
- To drive a vehicle with a trailers all drivers must hold a licence that permits them to drive whilst towing a trailer. The overall weight of the vehicle and loaded trailer should not exceed any limitations on the licence. (You may need to check this with the DVLA).
For any driver who does not meet the criteria above, or falls into the below categories, please complete the "Endsleigh Non-Standard Driver Declaration Form" and email same to the AUSA Sports team on email@example.com along with copy of your driving licence (front and back).
- Over the age of 70
- Have a licence other than UK, EU, Channel Islands, Isle of Man or Norway
- Over the age of 70
- Drivers who have disclosed a medical condition reportable to DVLA where DVLA have applied terms to their licence e.g., reduced licence period
- Drivers who have disclosed any motor accidents or made any claims in the past 3 years
- Drivers who have disclosed more than one motoring convictions, or a motoring conviction not on the “approved list” below
To be registered on the AUSA Insurance as a driver, please forward to AUSA Sports Team via email on firstname.lastname@example.org, (i) copy driving licence, front and back, (ii) DVLA Summary* (iii) MiDAS Certificate (if applicable).
You will not be able to drive any hired vehicle(s) on behalf of your Sport’s Club, Society or Student Group until AUSA is in receipt of these documents and they have confirmed you as an “approved driver”.
*If you have a UK Licence (England, Wales or Scotland) DVLA Summary can be obtained from the DVLA website If you have a Northern Irish Licence an equivalent can be obtained from NI Direct Government Services. If you hold a EU, Channel Islands, Isle of Man or Norway licence and there is no DVLA equivalent, you must submit written confirmation of offences/penalties on the licence
If drivers are not registered, your Activity will be wholly liable for any damage caused to any hire vehicle(s).
You no longer required to register online with Aberdeen University (Driver Declaration Form) to be able to drive a vehicle on AUSA business. AUSA now have their own insurance through Endsleigh. Please see “driver registration”.
Private vehicles are not covered by the AUSA insurance policy, and you will need to contact your own insurance Company for any damages. Those driving their own vehicles on behalf of a Sport’s club, Society or Student Group must have extended their motor insurance policies to cover business use. If a Club, Society or Student Group chooses to take their own vehicles and they have not extended their insurance AUSA are not responsible for the cost of damage to any personal vehicle(s).
MiDAS Certificate / Assessments
A MiDAS qualification is required if you do not meet certain criteria for driving a minibus (as above).
To request a space on a MiDAS assessment, please email AUSA Sports Team on email@example.com and request the application forms.
If it’s possible, consider taking a train or a coach instead of traveling by plane to an event, and reduce the carbon footprint of your journey!