Welcome to the Ice Skating Society!
Whether you are looking to try out a new sport or you're already a pro, ice skating is the perfect match for you!
What to expect in 2023
We currently train twice a week, as follows:
- Off-ice sessions: Off-ice sessions are just as important as on-ice training! During these sessions we'll work on our strength, balance and flexibility with the help of equipment such as spinners and jump ropes. We'll also practice routines and moves that will later be performed on ice! We plan to train one afternoon a week on campus for 1 hour.
Time and location: Saturday 3 - 4 pm, Dance Studio, Butchart Recreation Center, University Rd, Aberdeen AB24 3UT
- Ice sessions: Ice sessions will take place at Linx Ice Arena (Beach Esplanade) where skaters will be divided into groups based on skill level, so don't worry if you've never stepped a foot on ice! Ice sessions will be led by the ice rink's professional coaches, with opportunities throughout the semester to be graded to find out your skating level. If you do not own ice skates, that is no problem either, since there are figure skates for hire at the ice rink. Time and location: Wednesday 1.30-3pm, Linx Ice Arena, Beach Esplanade, Aberdeen AB24 5NR
We are also hoping to take part in several competitions over the year, where you will have the opportunity to plan, practice and perform a routine, whether on your own or in a group. We are planning to have competitions just within Aberdeen Uni and RGU, as well as with other universities across Scotland.
Don't be discouraged if you are new to the sport and have never competed before: The competitions will be divided into different skill levels as well, and everybody has a chance to win.
The perfect way to show off your progress to your friends and family!
Membership cost for Semester 1
- Full on-ice skating membership
- For students of the University of Aberdeen, please buy the 1st Term On-Ice Membership - £45
- For all others, please buy the Associate 2nd Term On-Ice Membership - £50
- Off-ice membership
- For those who would like to only join for off-ice trainings and socials, please by the Off-ice membership - £5
- Optional: NISA Skate UK booklets which allow you to check your skill level and track your progress throughout the semester are available to purchase for £1.80
The full on-ice skating membership includes one on-ice session a week with private ice and teaching from professional coaches. If you do not have your own skates, you can rent them from the rink for £2.
Social Perks for all our members
- Access to new, weekly off-ice content to prepare you for skating and improve your strength and flexibility
- Socials and events with the society
- Sponsorships and membership discounts
Please note that the prices are subject to change at any point! If, for any reason, we are unable to offer the skating membership halfway through the semester, we will let you know right away and discuss compensation possibilities.
For more information or queries, please visit our Facebook or Instagram or drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org!