As a Postgraduate Rep, you work in partnership with the Education Officer to ensure that the views of all postgraduates within your School are effectively represented, both to the University and to AUSA.
You will take proactive steps to ensure that their voices are heard, reaching out to Academic Reps and other students and facilitating their involvement in School-wide issues and campaigns.
You will provide appropriate opportunities for postgraduates in your School to come together in a student-led space to discuss issues that concern them in their School, and to organise projects and campaigns that will make positive changes happen.
Being a Postgraduate Rep is an excellent opportunity to gain skills in areas such as leadership, project management, campaigning, publicity and team work.
A key element of this role is working in partnership with academics and administrative staff in your School, which will give you experience of negotiating and managing relationships.
These are skills which are particularly valued by employers.
COMMITMENTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
In this role you will need to:
- Represent the views and needs of all postgrads in your School, by taking issues and ideas forward to relevant staff in the School, up to and including the Head of School.
- Coordinate and organise meetings of postgrads and Reps within your School, and represent the views of the student body in meetings with staff and academics.
- Reach out to students and Academic Reps, ensuring their active participation in a School Forums, or other meetings of students.
- Coordinate and bring together Class or Programme Reps in your School to help prepare for Student Staff Liaison Committees and other opportunities to offer feedback.
- Work with academic societies within your School.
- Attend and participate in relevant School level committees.
- Work with other School Conveners and the Education Committee across the University on issues and projects which mutually affect you.
Additionally, you may be called upon to represent your School’s interests at College-level University committees about the student experience. (This involves reading committee papers and attending one or more committee meetings per semester).
We understand that you have study commitments that vary throughout the academic year. We will provide support and flexibility to make sure that your role does not conflict with these commitments. This is where support from AUSA’s Education Officer is vital to help ensure representation of students.
TRAINING AND SUPPORT
- You will receive an initial welcome to your role with AUSA at an event held shortly after your election.
- In Semester 1 of the new academic year, you will receive training designed to equip you with the knowledge and tools to carry out your role.
- We also offer additional training sessions during the year which focus on specific skills, such as campaigning, public speaking, and more besides.
- You will work closely with the Education officer who will have experience and knowledge in this area.
- You will receive support from representation staff at AUSA. They can provide guidance on running campaigns, and information and advice on how to take forward projects within the University and beyond.
- There will also be the opportunity to take part in a wide variety of AUSA events as part of your development.
The Postgraduate Education Committee 2021-22 is chaired by the Education Sabbatical Officer, Ondrej Kucerak, and includes the following members;
- Postgraduate Officer (Vice-Chair): Nathan Hughes
- Postgraduate Representative for Divinity, History & Philosophy: Vacant
- Postgraduate Representative for Education: Vacant
- Postgraduate Representative for Language, Literature, Music & Visual Culture: Vacant
- Postgraduate Representative for Law: Vacant
- Postgraduate Representative for Social Sciences: Vacant
- Postgraduate Representative for Business: Daniella Ekekwe
- Postgraduate Representative for Biological Sciences: Sofia Jimenez
- Postgraduate Representative for Medical Sciences: Nana Boateng
- Postgraduate Representative for Medicine: Vacant
- Postgraduate Representative for Dentistry: Vacant
- Postgraduate Representative for Psychology: Bryony Garford
- Postgraduate Representative for Engineering: Cristian Santa Cruz
- Postgraduate Representative for Natural & Computing Sciences: Christopher Wildi
- Postgraduate Representative for Geosciences: Alex O'Donnell
- Postgraduate Representative for Qatar Campus: Vacant
- Postgraduate Representative for Graduate Research School: Vacant
- Ordinary members (x2): Vacant
To get in touch with any of the Conveners, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or speak to your School Office.