Welcome to the Ice Skating Society!
Whether you are looking to try out a new sport or you're already a pro, then ice skating is the perfect match for you!
Due to the current goverment restrictions and the Aberdeen Linx Ice Arena having limited capacity, we are working on a solution that will get as many people on the ice as possible for the 2022 autumn semester. If you are hesitant about returning to ice, we are also offering a Social Membership this semester that will give you access to our online and offline events, and everything but the ice!
Social Membership Perks
- Access to new, weekly off-ice content to prepare you for skating and improve your strength and flexibility
- Socials and events with the society
- Sponsorship and membership discounts
What to expect in 2022/23
The Aberdeen Linx Ice Arena is open and accepting skaters! To keep things safe, there is a limited amount of people allowed on the ice at once. We have a booking system in place that will allow members with a skate membership to reserve a training spot for the week and if you miss out, you will be given priority the following week.
We plan to train twice a week, as follows:
- Off-ice sessions: Off-ice sessions are just as important as on-ice training! During these sessions we'll work on our strength, balance and flexibility with the help of equipment such as spinners and jump ropes. We'll also practice routines and moves that will later be performed on ice! We plan to train one evening a week on campus for 1-2 hours.
Time and location: Tba
- Ice sessions: Ice sessions will take place at Linx Ice Arena (Beach Esplanade) where skaters will be divided into groups based on skill level, so don't worry if you've never stepped a foot on ice! Ice sessions will be led by the ice rink's professional coaches, with opportunities throughout the semester to be graded to find out your skating level.
Time: Wednesday 1:30-3:00pm (Provisional)
We are also hoping to take part in several competitions over the year, where you will have the opportunity to plan, practice and perform a routine, whether on your own or in a group. We are planning to have competitions just within Aberdeen Uni and RGU, as well as with other universities across Scotland.
Don't be discouraged if you are new to the sport and have never competed before: The competitions will be divided into different skill levels as well, and everybody has a chance to win.
The perfect way to show off your progress to your friends and family!
Price List for Semester 1
This semester, we will have skating memberships on offer, as well as the social membership if you are not able to attend ice sessions but would still like to join in on socials and profit from society perks, discounts and our sponsors.
- Full on-ice skating membership - £45
- Social membership - £10
- NISA Skate UK booklets which allow you to check your skill level and track your progress throughout the semester are available to purchase for £1.80
The full on-ice skating membership includes one on-ice session a week with private ice and teaching from professional coaches. If you do not have your own skates, you can rent them from the rink for £2.
Please note that the prices are subject to change at any point! If, for any reason, we are unable to offer the skating membership halfway through the semester, we will let you know right away and discuss compensation possibilities.
For more information or queries, please visit our Facebook or Instagram or drop us an email at email@example.com!