Welcome to the Ice Skating Society!
Please note: The current membership is for semester one (Sep-Dec 2021). We will be posting semester two (Jan-March 2022) memberships shortly at a lower price. Please keep an eye on our social media for the announcement when the membership goes live!
Whether you are looking to try out a new sport or you're already a pro, then ice skating is the perfect match for you!
Due to the current goverment restrictions and the Aberdeen Linx Ice Arena having limited capacity, we are working on a solution that will get as many people on the ice as possible for the 2021 fall semester. If you are hesitant about returning to ice, we are also offering a Social Membership this semester that will give you access to our online and offline events, and everything but the ice!
Social Membership Perks
- Access to new, weekly off-ice content to prepare you for skating next semester.
- Online socials and events with the society
- Sponsorship and membership discounts
What to expect in Semester 2
The Aberdeen Linx Ice Arena is now reopen and accepting skaters! To keep things safe, there is a limited amount of people allowed on the ice at once. We are currently working on a booking system that will allow members with a skate membership to reserve a training spot for the week and if you miss out, you will be given priority the following week.
We plan to train twice a week, as follows:
- Off-ice sessions: Off-ice sessions are just as important as on-ice training! During these sessions we'll work on our strength, balance and flexability with the help of equipment such as spinners and jump ropes. We'll also practice routines and moves that will later be performed on ice! We plan to train one evening a week on campus for 1-2 hours, sessions will be livestreamed for those that can't attend in person training.
Time and location: TBC, MS Teams Online Sessions until Further Notice
- Ice sessions: Ice sessions will take place at Linx Ice Arena (Beach Esplanade) where skaters will be divided into groups based on skill level, so don't worry if you've never stepped a foot on ice! Ice sessions will be led by the ice rink's professional coaches, with opportunities throughout the semester to be graded to find out your skating level.
Time: Wednesday afternoon, time TBC
We are also hoping to take part in a compitition next year, where you will have the opportunity to plan, practise and perform a routine, whether on your own or in a group, in a competitive setting with other universities across Scotland. The perfect way to show off your progress to your friends and family!
Price List for Semester 1
Next semester, we will have skating memberships on offer, as well as the social membership if you are not able to attend ice sessions but would still like to join in on socials and profit from society perks, discounts and our sponsors.
- Full on-ice skating membership - £65
- Social membership - £10
- NISA Skate UK booklets which allow you to check your skill level and track your progress throughout the semester are available to purchase for £1.80
The full on-ice skating membership includes one on-ice session a week with private ice and teaching from professional coaches. If you do not have your own skates, you can rent them from the rink for £2.
Please note that the prices are subject to change at any point! If, for any reason, we are unable to offer the skating membership halfway through the semester, we will let you know right away and discuss compensation possibilities.
For more information or queries, please visit our Facebook or Instagram or drop us an email at email@example.com!