Medical Services

COVID-19 Update: For information on current health advice in relation to the Coronavirus pandemic please see the University FAQs , the NHS Advice pages, and Health Protection Scotland website, for regular updates and advice.

Coronavirus (COVID-19): How to get a test if you do not have symptoms - visit the NHS website for information on how to get lateral flow tests and how to use them.

Registering with a Doctor

When you arrive in Aberdeen you should register with a doctor. If you become unwell and are not registered with a doctor it can take longer to get an appointment as they will require you to complete registration first.

In order to register with a doctor in Aberdeen, you will be required to provide proof of your address and some form of identification. Which GP practice you can register at is based on catchment area therefore you will be required to register with a doctor that is close to your term-time address.

The National Health Service (NHS) provides free primary care for people living in the UK. However some care, such as dental treatment, a small fee is payable.

Out of Hours

If you’re ill when your doctor’s surgery is closed and you feel it can’t wait until it re-opens, call NHS 24 on 111.

Urgent Medical Problems

If you have an urgent medical problem you should call 999

You should always call 999 in a life-threatening emergency—if someone is seriously ill or injured, and their life is at risk.

If you’re just looking for some information about your health NHS Grampian healthpoint is your one-stop health information point, offering free confidential information, advice, and access to reputable services, in a friendly welcoming environment.  Trained health advisors are there to help you with information and advice on a wide range of health-related issues

The healthpoint service can be contacted by calling the free healthline 0500 20 20 30 (Monday - Friday 9.00 am - 5.00 pm), texting ‘Info’ to 82727 emailing


It can be hard to get an NHS dentist however The Dental Information and Advice Line (DIAL) provides information and advice about accessing NHS dental treatment in Grampian.  Dial can be contacted on 0345 45 65 990 between 8.05 am to 5.45 pm Monday to Friday.  If you have an urgent dental problem outside DIAL hours, contact NHS 24 on 111.

Private Dentists

The alternative is to sign up with a private dentist.  This can be costly, however, all full-time students can claim for health care costs like dental bills by filling out an HC1 Form, which can be downloaded here.

GP Practices

If you still need to register with a GP practice in Aberdeen you can call the Practitioners Services Division on 01224 358400 or visit the Service Directory on the NHS Inform ( website. If you need urgent health advice when your GP practice is closed, you should call NHS 24 on 111.

Please see below for a list of GP practices that are close to the University; 

Old Aberdeen Medical Practice 
Address - 12 Sunnybank Road, Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, AB24 3NG
Opening Hours - Monday - Friday 8.00am - 6.00pm, Closed Wednesday between 12.30pm & 1.30pm
Telephone: 01224 486702

Old Machar Medical Practice (King Street)
Address – 526 King Street, AB24 5RS
Telephone – 0345 337 0510

Woodside Medical Group
Address  80 Western Road, Woodside, Aberdeen
Telephone  01224 492828 

Links Medical
Address - City Hospital, Park Road, Aberdeen, AB24 5AU
Telephone - 0345 337 6340

Calsayseat Medical Practice
Address – Calsayseat Road, Aberdeen
Telephone – 0345 337 6370

Denburn Medical Practice

Address: Denburn Health Centre, Rosemount Viaduct, AB15 1QB

Telephone- 01224643333