Driver Registration and Eligibility

Please see below for information on how to drive on behalf of your Activity.


Driver registration

Any student wishing to drive on behalf of their Student Activity must be registered as an authorised driver with the Students' Union. You will not be able to drive any hired vehicle(s) on behalf of your Student Activity until AUSA have confirmed you as an “approved driver”.

Applications should be made every new Academic Term to be covered by the Students’ Union insurance. Should any of your details change following registration, and prior to re-registration in the new academic term you must submit an updated Driver Registration form. Failure to do so will invalidate your insurance cover.

To become an authorised driver with the Students' Union, the individual must complete Students' Union Driver Registration


Standard Driver

All drivers must meet the below criteria to be considered a "STANDARD DRIVER" under the Students' Union insurance, and need to be referred to the Students’ Union insurance company for approval.

  • Hold a UK or EU Licence for a minimum of 1 year, increased to 2 years for minibuses. 
    • Licences issued in the Channel Islands, Isle of Man and Norway are also acceptable and are treated in the same way as EU licences.
    • Drivers with an EU licence are limited to vehicles with 8 passenger seats or less.
    • Use this tool to see if you can drive in Great Britain with your non-GB driving licence.
  • Be aged between 18 and 70 to drive Cars, MPVs, Goods Vehicles, Special Types.
  • Be aged between 21 and 70 to drive a minibus*.
    • Should you wish to drive a vehicle with a trailer, you must hold a licence that permits you to drive whilst towing a trailer. The overall weight of the vehicle and loaded trailer should not exceed any limitations on the licence. (You may need to check this with the DVLA)
  • Have completed an eye test within the last 24 months
    • You must wear glasses or contact lenses every time you drive if you need them to meet the ‘standards of vision for driving’


Non-Standard Driver

If any driver discloses any of the undernoted they are considered a "NON-STANDARD DRIVER" and will need to complete a "Endsleigh Non Standard Driver Form." and be referred to the Students’ Union insurance company for approval.

  • Drivers with a non-UK/EU Licence other than Norway, Channel Islands and Isle of Man
  • Drivers over the age of 70
  • Drivers who have disclosed a medical condition reportable to DVLA where DVLA have applied terms to their licence e.g., reduced licence period
  • Drivers who have disclosed any motor accidents or made any claims in the past 3 years 
  • Drivers who have any motoring conviction on their licence  

If you fall into the category of NON-STANDARD DRIVER please Endsleigh Non Standard Driver Form as well as Students' Union Driver Registration.  Please email the completed Endsleigh Non Standard Driver Form  to the Students' Union Sports Office on


*Minibus Driving

A minibus is classed as a vehicle with a driver, along with between 9 and 16 passenger seats (not a 9 seater MPV). 

You are able to drive a minibus using your current car driving licence as long as you are

  • between the ages of 21 and 70 and have held a full UK licence for a minimum of 2 years.
  • you are driving on a voluntary basis and the minibus is used for social purposes by a non-commercial body.
  • total weight of the minibus including passengers is not more than 3.5 tonnes (plus up to 750kg of equipment for disabled passengers)
  • you are not towing a trailer.


Driver Quality Monitoring (previously MiDAS)

Although it is not a requirement under the Students' Union Insurance Policy through Endsleigh, that any drivers who do not already hold a Category D1* on their licence undertake a Driver Quality Monitoring Assessment, both the Students' Union and Endsleigh Insurance strongly recommend from a risk management perspective that the same is obtained.

We strongly recommend that those who have no previous experience of driving minibuses should get some practise on a minibus or vehicle of similar size before undertaking the Driver Quality Monitoring Assessment. Likewise, delegates who regularly drive automatics should get some practice on a vehicle with manual transmission.

If you would still like to undertake a Driver Quality Monitoring Assessment, please complete Students' Union Driver Registration 2023-24 and H-Train UK Driving Experience Declaration. We need a minimum of 8 participants before an Assessment can take place and will be in touch when we have reached that minimum.

The Driver Quality Monitoring Assessment comprises a 3 hour group theory assessment (usually on a Monday via zoom) and following completion of the group theory assessment, the Assessor will allocate you a one-hour slot for your Practical assessment the next day. 


*Category D1

For any drivers who passed their test before January 1997 you may have D1 entitlement on your car licence which automatically entitles you to drive vehicles with no more than 16 passenger seats, a maximum length of 8 metres and a trailer up to 750kg. Check the back of your licence or use this link View or share your driving licence information - GOV.UK (  to check what vehicles you can drive.

For those who passed their driving test after the 1st January 1997, you will not automatically have the D1 entitlement on your licence.



If you have any queries relating to the above, please do not hesitate to contact the Students' Union

In Person: Students’ Union Sports Office | ASV | Linksfield Rd | Aberdeen, AB24 5RU - Tel: 01224 438975 - Email:

In Person: Students' Union | Students’ Union Building | Elphinstone Rd | Aberdeen, AB24 3TU - Tel: 01224 272965 - Email: